Sunday, April 01, 2007

And we're back!

I recently decided it was time to start blogging again. The decision was not completely random but is rather a result of a combination of things going on.

The recent launch of Sphinx Citings led to my renewed excitement about blogging and I will soon be able to take public positions on various political issues (soon to be "Former Chair of the Undergraduate Assembly")

I am hoping to make Progresive Dispatches focused on Penn and the many goings on in and around Philadelphia. Specifically taking a critical look at campus politics at the student level and otherwise.

What I mean by "Progressive" is summed up well by John Halpern, a senior advisor at the Center for American Progress. He writes:

At its core, progressivism is a non-ideological, pragmatic system of thought grounded in solving problems and maintaining strong values within society.
The original progressive movement at the turn of the 20th century sought to improve American life by encouraging personal and moral responsibility among citizens; by providing the carrots and sticks to promote efficient and ethical business behavior; and by reforming government to provide a level playing field for all citizens and groups.
Another major influence on my posts, is mydd.com and the many great posts by Chris Bowers. Of the 8 principles layed out by Bowers in this post, I would highlight the following ones:
1. The Democratic Party is the primary vessel of the progressive coalition. It is impossible to enact real change without an electoral apparatus within your movement. In a two-party system, it is thus necessary to adopt one of the two parties as the electoral vessel of your coalition.

8. Don't expect the party to change on it's own. Be prepared and willing to change it yourself.
As I start to make substantive posts, I hope to expand on the above and better define this blog. I hope to also bring in a number of guest bloggers and perhaps even turn this into a group-blog. If you are interested let me know.

~BT

No comments: